Monday, October 1, 2012

Etsy Shop of the Week!

I am proud to announce my second shop of the week is For My Mulattos! Roxie opened her Etsy store four months ago and is starting to climb her way to the top. I spoke with Roxie last week and she told me all about her shop, her family, and her creations!

Roxie is a very talented jewelry designer, wife, and mother to two beautiful children (her mulattos). I asked her about her creative shop name and she filled me in on why she chose to name her shop For My Mulattos.


"Mulatto is a term for bi racial children. Since my kids are mixed (I am white & my hubby is black) they are mulatto, and that is the name of my shop because everything I do, I do for my children."

  Family is the most important thing in the world to Roxie, and one of the main reasons for opening a shop on Etsy was so she could help supplement the family income. She told me another reason for
opening For My Mulattos was because,

"I am also just very excited to share my talents with the world. I feel everyone has talent, but it is rare they share it with others. I wanted to take that leap."

  When Roxie took the leap of opening a shop on Etsy.com she made a splash! Her creations are truly one of a kind pieces of art that you can wear. She uses natural cork, and hand dyes it to giver her jewelry some real personality. I asked Roxie where she gets her material, and she said,

"The wine cork I use is from before I had children, just corks I had saved from bottles of wine enjoyed with friends when I lived in Seattle."

 Her beads and other supplies come from thrift stores that she visits with her children. Her son and daughter (3 & 4) help her sort out the beads by color and they spend the say together.



For My Mulattos is the perfect title for this beautiful shop. Roxie really loves her children, and means it when she says "Everything I do, I do for my mulattos". By visiting Roxie's store you will see that every single piece of handmade jewelry has it's own personality and story behind it. Whether the wine cork on a necklace is filled with hilarious memories from sharing stories over a glass of wine, or if a bracelet makes you smile when you put it on because it was picked out by a happy child helping his mom...I promise you will feel it the moment you put it on.

You can learn more about Roxie, and see more of her amazing work by visiting: http://www.etsy.com/shop/formymulattos

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post on my daughter. You did a great job of capturing who Roxie is and the important things in her life. I also noticed you are from Medford, OR. What a small world! My husband and I grew up in Medford and graduated from Medford Sr. High - long ago when there was only one HS. It's North Medford now. We still have family in the Rogue Valley (Gold Hill to Ashland) and we visit from time to time.

    All the best for you - and your Etsy shop too!
    Sincerely,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! Thank you for following and promoting my blog! I glad you feel that I did a good job capturing her spirit, it was very hard to do without meeting her. I grew up here as well but am planning on leaving next year. It is gorgeous though! Thank you for sharing with me, and supporting your daugher, I am sure that means a lot to her!
    -Samantha Nicole

    ReplyDelete